I recently had my very first live event. (YAY!) It was amazing. I love speaking!
I haven’t always loved speaking. Thankfully, I found Toastmasters and through that, I have developed a love for speaking.
There are a few things we learn in Toastmasters that I would have NEVER known if I wouldn’t have joined.
Here are a few:
Jump right in
- It’s tempting to jump up there and say “Hey everyone thanks for being here my name is Macy and I am excited to share with you today.”
- It’s much less impactful this way. If you can – write an introduction for yourself and have someone else read it so when it’s your time to speak, people are ready to listen.
Show appreciation in the middle of the speech
- Just because you don’t show appreciation at the beginning doesn’t mean you don’t need to show it at all!
- If you want to thank people for making the time to be at your speaking engagement or thank a specific person for having you as a guest, find a way to slip it in the middle. It’s much more sincere.
At the end of your speech, end with the final word.
- Lastly, when you finish your speech, it’s natural to say, ‘thank you.’ Technically, the audience should be thanking you for the awesome content you presented to them! So, just finish up your thoughts and pause. They will know you’re finished.